Eric Schmitt called them the Gang of Four –
Four companies that define a new era for business excellence – Amazon, Apple, Facebook and Google.
They have built large business empires in a ridiculously small amount of time. Some principles that I feel, they have grasped and implement exceedingly well:
- Build the platform and ecosystems, beyond individual products
- Appreciating early on in their journeys, that maintaining a high level of performance at scale is critical for customer satisfaction and loyalty
- (Most of them) got partnerships right
- Build for acquiring customer data; use insights from customer data to constantly innovate
- A rhythm of experimenting and learning.
- And above all, recruiting and growing talent