Your Salesforce CRM project may be one of several types. It may be a:
- ‘Build from Scratch’ implementations to put in place the sales, customer service or marketing process. A small or medium-sized business may go down this path, utilize the Sales, Service or Marketing Cloud to deploy a new CRM process
- Automation of an existing manual CRM process
- Migrating over a CRM implementation built and running on an alternate platform outside Salesforce
- Enhancements and changes to an existing Salesforce implementation
- Re-designing current processes by configuring and customizing Salesforce process flows
Do not assume all project stakeholders and team members are aware which of the above types your salesforce initiative maps to. Team members may come into a project with a varying range of backgrounds and project experiences; clarifying the nature and strategic intent of the implementation helps them adjust how they go about their tasks, deliverables, and interactions with end users.
Your project charter should clarify and document the type and intent of the implementation.